Overall – asphalt paving is the driveway application that lasts the longest and holds up to the elements the best – especially for residential customers. With proper care and maintenance, a well done driveway can last up to 25 years. Asphalt is a flexible product, as it conforms to the shape of the surface underneath and can also provide concentrated pressure from above, especially when it’s hot outside.
Here’s a few tips on keeping your driveway in tip-top shape for years to come.
- Make sure the sides of the driveway are properly supported with stone or back-filled, hard-packed dirt. A firm edge prevents the sides of the driveway from cracking or slipping.
- Avoid driving equipment or vehicles off of the edges of the driveway as this can cause fractures, cracking and damage. Don’t park too close to the edge of the driveway either.
- Oil, gas and other solvent leaks can damage and soften the asphalt itself, so make sure your vehicles aren’t leaking anything onto the surface.
- Be mindful of your driveway’s weight limit. It was built to withstand regular family vehicles. Extremely heavy equipment or very large trucks can damage the asphalt and cause it to give way.
- Look for 1/4 wide cracks on your driveway. When you see those, this is the beginning of a potential problem.
- Get your asphalt driveway seal coated every 2-3 years. This slows the negative effects of water, gas and oil and it fills small cracks before they turn into bigger ones.
Are you ready to get your project started? Call us at 613-822-0225 or request a quote!