As spring starts, we wanted to focus some attention on asphalt paving scams and difficult to vet companies that have affected some Ottawa residents in the last 12 months. Last April, a Kemptville couple warned Ottawa residents about a company they were left dealing with after their driveway was ripped up in error. Dealing with a reputable company is essential, even if you’re simply looking to get a small residential driveway done.
In August of 2012, a Merivale road area family was scammed by a door to door company. In 2009, 8 men were charged in a rogue paving scam in the Ottawa area. Last year, the RCMP reported the same racket being performed in the prairies.
Here’s some tips on what to look out for.
- Reputable asphalt contractors will sometimes offer there services if they are doing a legitimate job in the immediate area. Always ask for references. Check if they have a history with the Better Business Bureau. As how long they’ve been in business.
- Professional asphalt contractors will know, with great accuracy, how much paving material is needed to complete a project. Rarely will they have leftover material. Some of the reasons a contractor might have left over material are due to weather, equipment problems, cancellations and etc.
- Reputable contractors will provide a written estimate that will be valid for weeks or months. If the great deal they are offering you today is not available tomorrow or next week it may be a scam. No one should be pushing you for a quick decision.
- Insist upon a written contract specifying in detail, the work to be performed and the agreed upon price. Reputable companies will provide this.
- Most reputable contractors take checks or credit cards and do not require cash-only terms.
- If the quoted price seems very low, chances are the quality of the work will also be quite low.
- Often the trucks they travel in are unmarked or they have an out of town address and phone number. A little research will reveal that they have no permanent address and the phone number is often an answering machine.
Are you ready to get your project started? Call us at 613-822-0225 or request a quote!